The following is the exact questions and answers for the Boater Test
1. Two boats are operating in the same general area. Who is responsible for avoiding a collision?
D. the operator of the smaller vessel
2. What is the best way to avoid overloading your boat?
C. Don't exceed the limits listed on the capacity plate.
3. When you see red flag or buoy with a white diagonal stripe (divers-down symbol), you must:
D. Both A and C
4. Florida law requires a person born on or after January 1, 1988, who is operating a boat powered by a motor of 10 horsepower or greater on Florida waters to:
A. Successfully complete an approved boating safety course and to obtaining have on board a Florida Boating Safety Education ID Card and Photographic ID card.
5. What piece of equipment on a boat is most important in preventing propeller strike injuries?
B. Engine cut-off switch lanyard
6. A passenger on your boat falls overboard. What should you do FIRST?
A. Reduce speed, and throw the victim a PFD
7. What three ingredients are required to ignite a fire?
A. Oxygen, fuel, and heat
8. If you see a dead or distressed manatee, or one that is being harassed, you should:
A. report it to FWC Law Enforcement on VHF vChannel 16 or by phone at 1-888-404-3922
9. You see a buoy with both red and green bands. What does this buoy mark?
A. The junction of two channels
10. You see a white buoy with an orange square and black lettering. What does this buoy tell you?
A. Keep out
Which side of a boat has a red light at night?
A. Port (left)
11. Two boats are operating near each other. One of these boats must take early and substantial action to keep well away from the other boat. Which is the boat that must take action?
B. The give-way vessel
12. When boating in Florida, who has the primary responsibility for the safety of all persons aboard a recreational boat?
A. Boat Operator
13. According to Florida law, PFD's (life jackets) on your vessel should be sized for which person on board?
D. its intended wearer
14. Which PFD's would be considered readily accessible?
A. PFD's located within easy reach of everyone on board
15. Which of these is a factor that determines if a speed is safe for your boat?
D. Hazard in the water
16. A PWC must be operated in a reasonable and prudent manner. It is illegal to:
D. All of the above
17. Under Florida law, which persons on board a PWC must wear a PFD (life jacket)?
A. Everyone on board
18. In Florida, which of the following is one of the legal requirements while operating a PWC?
C. Have a driver's license
19. What is the most important thing to remember about steering a PWC?
D. You lose all steering control when the engine is idling or shut off
20. You are operating a PWC. What will happen if you shut off the engine?
D. You will keep going in the same directions with no steering control.
21. A PWC capsizes. What is the best way to roll the PWC to turn it upright?
Roll the PWC according to the decal on the craft.
22. Which of these is the most common cause of fatal boating accidents in Florida?
23. It is illegal to operate which of the following while impaired due to alcohol and/or drugs?
D. All of the above
24. Two boats are operating in the same general area. Who is responsible for avoiding a collision?
D. the operator of the smaller boat
25. What is the important safety information found on a boat's capacity plate?
D. maximum weight and/or number of people the boat can carry safely
26. When you see a red flag or buoy with a white diagonal stripe (divers-down symbol), you must:
D. both a and c
27. Operators required to have a Boating Safety Education ID Card must carry it along with a _____ on board.
B. photographic identification card
28. What piece of equipment on a boat is most important in preventing propeller strike injuries?
B. engine cut-off switch lanyard
29. Your boat gets swamped far from shore. What should you do?
A. Stay with the boat, and signal for help.
30. What should you do if the motor on your boat catches fire?
D. Shut off the fuel supply if possible.
31. Destruction of seagrass in aquatic preserves is a violation of Florida law and carries a penalty of up to _____.
32. You are traveling upstream on a river at dusk. You see a buoy with the number 5 and a flashing green light. What should you do?
A. Keep the buoy on your port (left) side.
33. You see a white buoy with orange markings and black lettering. What type of buoy is this?
D. regulatory marker
34. In addition to an all-round white light, which light or lights must power-driven vessels less than 65.6 feet (20 meters) long exhibit when underway between sunset and sunrise?
B. red and green sidelights
35. What should you do if you are operating a motorboat that is being overtaken by a sailboat?
C. Maintain present course and speed.
36. What should the operator of a stand-on vessel do when encountering a give-way vessel?
D. Maintain course and speed unless the give-way vessel does not take action.
37. Florida regulates boat speeds/operation in certain areas to:
D. All of the above
38. According to Florida law, which agency must approve PFDs (life jackets)?
C. United States Coast Guard
39. Where is the best place to put PFDs while you are out on your boat?
D. in an open bin near the passenger seats
40. Two boats are operating in the same general area. Who is responsible for maintaining a sharp lookout?
D. the operator of the smaller boat
41. Which of the following is legal when operating a PWC?
C. attaching the lanyard of a lanyard-type engine cut-off switch to the operator's PFD
42. Under Florida law, which persons on board a PWC must wear a PFD (life jacket)?
A. everyone on board
43. Florida law prohibits anyone under the age of _____ from operating a personal watercraft (PWC):
44. What is needed for steering control on a PWC?
D. power to the jet drive
45. What happens when a PWC's steering control is turned to the right?
B. The back of the PWC is pushed to the left, and the PWC turns right.
46. Boaters under 21 years of age who are found with a measurable breath alcohol level of _____ or higher are in violation of Florida law.
47. The Florida Boater Education Temporary Certificate is valid for _____ months from the date of completion, is non-transferable, and cannot be exchanged for the Florida Boating Safety Education ID Card.
48. What is the main function of an engine cut-off switch?
A. to shut off the engine if the operator is thrown overboard
49. What should you do to reduce the risk of capsizing or swamping your boat in rough water?
50. What three ingredients are required to ignite a fire?
A. oxygen, fuel, and heat
51. Harassing, hunting, capturing, or killing any marine mammal, such as a manatee, is a violation of Florida law and punishable by up to:
52. You are traveling upstream on a river at dusk. You see a buoy with the number 4 and a flashing red light. What should you do?
53. One type of marker is used to warn boaters not to pass between the marker and the shore. What color is this marker?
54. What color is a boat's sternlight?
55. A motorboat is approaching a sailboat head-on. What should the motorboat do?
A. Take early action to keep well away from the sailboat.
56. You encounter another boat. You assess the situation and determine that you are the give-way vessel. What must you do?
B. Take early and substantial action to keep well away.
57. You encounter another boat. You assess the situation and determine that you are the give-way vessel. What must you do?